Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Good and the Bad

Poor Emerson. It has been a very rough day for her. First, we had our first public mega spit-up. Mega spit-up = at least a full bottle coming back up typically through the mouth and nose. It happened this morning at church. As usual, Emerson and I stayed in the sanctuary through most of the singing and then quickly retreated to the narthex so we didn't have to worry as much about being quiet. Near the end of the service, while I was walking Emerson around, it happened. I tried to keep as much as possible contained on myself. A little did get on the floor, which I carefully attempted to wipe up while holding Emerson and trying to keep any more from running off me. Most of it ended up down my shirt and (somehow) on my foot and inside my sandal. We (very carefully) made it to the bathroom and I cleaned us both up as much as possible.

When we got home, Emerson ate a little and then passed out. I decided to try and lay her down in her crib since the daycare center has been very successful in getting her to sleep 2-3 hours in the crib. It worked! Here's a picture to prove it. She slept so peacefully -- I am still amazed she actually slept in her own room. She even slept for an entire 2.5 hours!

After waking, she ate on and off. She was a little fussy and not her usual playful self. She did end up taking another hour or so nap in her swing. However, when she woke up from this one, she was very upset. She ate some, but very quickly spit most of it back up and then proceeded to continue vomiting until she had absolutely nothing left. The next 4 hours were pretty much the same. Eat some, spit it back up. She also continued to cry very hard. I think I would too if I had been vomiting so much.

Around 9:00 p.m. Todd finally got a call back from the doctor's office. They told him that she likely has some sort of stomach bug and to not feed her for 1-2 hours to let the bug work itself out. Again, poor Emerson! She acted so hungry, but seemed to associate the bottle with vomiting. She continued to cry until she just fell asleep (I'm sure it was due to pure exhaustion). Hopefully she'll sleep well and wake up refreshed and bug free! We've got the Pedialyte on hand, if needed.

No comments: