Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pre-Party

Em's ear infection was diagnosed on Friday and we had been planning her party for Sunday. I was really hoping the antibiotic would start kicking in soon! Friday night was the first night she slept well and all night in several days. So, I was very hopeful for the weekend and kept her party planned.

Saturday Em showed great signs of improvement and played well most of the day. So, I decided to go out and run some errands for Em's party the following day -- I had no decorations and had meant to go all week, but couldn't leave Em while she was feeling so bad. I was only gone and hour or so. When I got home Em was napping (Todd said she went down for her nap really well). My sister & brother-in-law stopped by our house on their drive back home (they were down in Indiana for a funeral and were not able to stay longer to go to Em's party on Sunday). After they were here for about 20 minutes, Em woke up and I went up to get her. Well, as soon as I opened her bedroom door I knew (actually smelled) that something was very wrong. Emerson was screaming, she couldn't open her eye on one side. Why? It was a great sight. Poor baby had vomited (most likely before falling asleep --- note above where Todd said she went to sleep good???!! ) and slept in it because her hair was full of dried vomit and plastered across one side of her face not allowing her to open her eye. It was not a good sight and even less so knowing that we had visitors just downstairs wanting to see Emerson. So, I immediately stripped her down, sponged her off as much as possible, and took her downstairs. Normally I probably would have just tossed her in the tub to get her clean and smelling good again, but she was in such a foul mood that I thought the bath would just make things worse and opted to get her downstairs and a bottle in her mouth. Only, she was not happy about having company and wouldn't eat. She eventually came around a little, especially after laughing at Aunt Kim push the around one of her toys. She did get some pre-party practice opening a few gifts and seemed to enjoy playing with her new toys. Surprisingly (and thankfully) she slept well again.

No photos of the dried vomit hair, but rather Em playing earlier in the day with her pig after climbing in her toy basket.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

poor baby, I hope she is feeling better!