Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Another Crazy Week...

I thought we were past the worse after getting through the stomach flu earlier this month, but I was wrong. Last week Todd was out of town for a few days, so I had the great fun of taking care of Emerson by myself. I'm being very sarcastic -- although taking care of Emerson is a joy, it's all the other stuff that is not fun. Like trying to get ready for work in the morning while getting Emerson changed, dressed, fed and out the door OR getting home late because I had gotten a late start in the morning and trying to feed Emerson, the cats and myself all at the same time.

She looks so sweet, but she can have a temper if she doesn't get her way.

We had a particularly rough morning on Wednesday. I had planned on getting up before she usually wakes so that I could shower, get dressed, etc., but instead she decided to wake up extra early so I had to do everything while keeping an eye on her. However, for some unknown reason, Emerson was super clingy. I thought she would be okay if I kept her in the bathroom with a bunch of books & toys while I jumped in the shower quick. She did good just long enough for me to get the shampoo in my hair. Then she lost it -- crying SO hard. I thought if we played a game of peek-a-boo with the shower curtain it would calm her down and she'd have fun. Oh no, I was very wrong. Instead, it brought Emerson over to the edge of the tub, pulling the curtain back and getting sprayed in the face with water. As you can imagine, that didn't help her mood any. More screaming and now stomping. So, what choice did I have but to just bring her into the shower with me? I carefully balanced Em on my lap while sitting in the tub and attempting to rinse out my hair. No conditioner on this morning! So, I "finished" my shower with Em and then had to change her sopping wet clothes -- my attempts to keep her out of the water was apparently not too successful!

The rest of the morning went pretty much the same way. Me having to hold Emerson while I did everything I needed to do one-handed. Then the drive to daycare was rough, crying most of the way. So, I figured that when I had to leave her at daycare she would really lose it. So, what happens.... She happily scurries off toward the toys and doesn't even look back.

To top it off, at the end of the week Emerson started drooling and having a major runny nose, which are sure signs that she's working on a new tooth! It was a very long weekend of wiping noses, crankiness, not eating, very little sleep, and WAY too much Sesame Street (which was just about the only thing that would calm Emerson down and unfortunately we only had 5 episodes Tivo'd, so the same 5 episodes were basically on a continuous loop for 3 days straight!). Here's Em watching her show...



The only good thing is that it is now behind us and hopefully she'll be feeling good and in good spirits while we're gone next week. I am very ready for a vacation to get away from work, our house, and especially the cold weather!

3 comments:

jennie said...

I've been there!(I still sttempted to work full time when Summer was a baby) Those days when you are on your own and think paying the price for a real live nanny is completely worth it.

If nothing else, it certainly makes one appreciate a helpful hubby;)

She getting so big, thanks for sharing!

Kristin said...

This too shall pass!!

See, you are a great mom who "worked" with the situation. All is a day's work...right?!?!?

So did I miss a post...Where are you going???

hien k. d. said...

have a great vacation, Stef! :)