We had big plans to spend the long Labor Day weekend in Chicago and take Emerson to the aquarium, Navy Pier, and many of the other sites. Things were quickly spoiled when I had to end up working ALL weekend! We had a really big project take a twist just before the weekend, requiring a fairly high level team to work the weekend (included all the managers & director!). So, to make up for the loss holiday weekend, and since I was still exhausted from putting in many long hours and playing kickball the day before (that's a whole other story!), we decided to stick close to home and take Em to the John Ball Zoo in GR instead (I know it really doesn't compare to going to Chicago, but this is about all I had the energy for!). My mom was able to go with us, too. I'm sure I must have gone as a child, but I really didn't have any memories of it, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect or how it would compare to Binder Park Zoo. Overall, I was pretty impressed. It's small, but it was a good size for Emerson. Most of the animals had nice areas (except for many of the big cats, especially the poor Tiger... he just didn't have enough space), it was clean, and seemed very cheerful.
Em was hooked the minute we got out of the car and she spotted the pond with all the ducks and geese. I just can't figure out what the attraction is between her and birds! We had to "pull" her away to actually go into the zoo. Thankfully, the flamingos and more ducks were one of the first exhibits to view. She was in love and doing a lot of dancing!
She really liked the trail area (I don't remember what it was called) and just took right off to explore. Of course, bunny had to go with us and (as usual) was dangling on Em's arm most of the day!
She also loved (with great squeals) feeding a goat leaves in one of the petting areas and later enjoyed petting the the pygmy goats.
By the end of the day, Em was exhausted and more than happy to catch a ride in her stroller. Of course, she's got her bunny and her dolly... not to mention her shades, which she has just started taken to wearing now that summer is almost over!
1 comment:
I am sorry that you had to work, but glad you got to get a little "break" and got to make it to the zoo...even if it was only John Ball. Chicago is not going anywhere:)...hopefully, you will get there sooner then later!!
Post a Comment